This week we have been reading the story ‘Whatever Next’. We have been learning book terms, ask me what an ‘author’ is! We have even learnt the word ‘blurb’! Our learning took us on an adventure to space. We drew maps of our journey, thought about what we might need if we went to The Moon and even had a picnic on the moon! We thought about what it would look, feel and smell like on The Moon.
In maths, we have been practising counting objects using 1:1 correspondence. When counting objects, we always put them in a line, count them one at a time and in order. We make sure we touch 1 object as we count each number. Perhaps you could practise this skill at home. Collect a group of objects, dried beans, pasta or toys, put them in a line and count them one at a time.
We have been busy in phonics learning more sounds;
i n m d
To embed our phonics knowledge, we made marks using ink, fished letters with nets, wrote ‘m’s’ on mountains and danced to drums!
We used these sounds to make words:
in nap dad pit tip dip sip mad
Have a go at reading and writing these words.
- All children need a spare bag of (old) clothes on their peg.
- All children need a book bag so they can take a story book home to share with their family. Please bring story books back to school the following day so the children can take a new one home. Or you can keep the same book for a few days if you are really enjoying it!
- Please make sure all uniform and clothing is labelled.
- Please talk to your child about what they have been learning about in school. The slideshow of pictures below could help spark an interesting conversation.
- We welcome donations of old recycled materials for the children to do ‘junk modelling’ with. This includes old (clean) cereal boxes, milk cartons, toilet roll tubes and any food packaging you may have. Please ensure none of these items have any traces of nuts. We have children in the setting who are allergic to nuts.
- We are a nut free school. Please ensure there are no nuts in your child’s packed lunch. This includes peanut butter sandwiches and pesto sauce.
- The children have P.E. with the coach every Thursday. The children learn how to change independently for P.E. in stages. Next week, we will be learning how to change our shoes, trousers/skirts and tops independently so please ensure you child has their kit in school.
- Please ensure your child does not bring any toys from home to school.
The Reception Team